AN INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ORGANIZED BY ART AND PSYCHE WORKING GROUP Art and Psyche in Sicily Layers and Liminality
The universality of the Art: prevention, health education and rehabilitation Venue: Grand Hotel Minareto, Siracusa, Italy September 2nd, 2015 – September 6th, 2015
Karen Arm. Untitled 1997
Please join us for a five-day conference to be held in the beautiful ancient Sicilian town of Siracusa. Sicily, surrounded by the Mediterranean Sea, is a crossroads between worlds and cultures where layers of civilizations, from Greek and Roman to Arab and Norman, contact and overlap one another at every turn. The city of Siracusa is a place where Plato stayed for a time and Freud visited in 1910. The stunning landscape, art, architecture, archaeology, and colorful history will reveal itself as the conference unfolds. We trust that layers of psyche will also emerge through our interaction with the environment, the presentations, and the experience of a community made up of people who are passionate about art and depth psychology.
Home base for the conference will be Grand Hotel Minareto located near Siracusa’s historic center with close proximity to archaeological sites, museums, charming shops and restaurants.
Selected plenaries will be held:
- in the Paolo Orsi Archaeological Museum, guided tour of the Museum for participants;
- in the stunning Greek Theatre at the Neapolis Archaeological Area, with guided visit to the archaeological site;
- in the Roman Villa of Tellaro, with guided visit to the Roman Villa and the Baroque town of Noto;
- and, as last time, we will offer a dream-over experience in the Necropolis of Castelluccio.
Also, included will be an opening cocktail reception, transportation to the major events and large group open discussions at the end of each day.
Submissions have come from around the world and we are plan to have the program in place by April , 2015.
Well known artists, mythologists and psychoanalysts of various persuasions will speak, teach and interact both indoors and outside. The proposals that we are working with include a wide range of creative possibilities that range from ancient to contemporary subjects and from experiential workshops to formal papers. Our hope is that the overarching theme of layers and liminality will offer flexibility and open space for imaginative expression of mind, body and soul.
Themes to be explored will include:
* The symbolic relevance of Sicily as a crossroads and container for multiple cultures and civilizations.
* The importance of the transcendent function as a connecting principle between art and psyche.
* Space and time "in between".
* The emergence of new life from ancient ruins.
* The co-existence of art and psyche in a shared liminal space.
* Artist/analyst as archaeologist.
* The relevance of myth for art and psyche.
* Island as image and metaphor.
* Mapping as physical artistic process and psychological experience.
Our presenters have been asked to allow their imaginations to respond freely to the place, time and overarching theme of layers and liminality. Some presentations will take place in the evening as arts events and some will be 20 minute “sparks” that are flashes of idea followed by discussion.
By request following our last conference, we will be sure to save time for audience response and interaction, so as to encourage the emergence of community spirit. As with our other conference, there will be a flow of ideas, experiences, images, that artistically express psyche.
We look forward to seeing those of you who have attended previous Art and Psyche conferences in San Francisco (2008) and New York (2012) and we welcome new presenters and participants. The continuation of an exciting dialogue between art and psychology embedded in a fascinating environment is the aim of this new conference. Please join us.
With all best wishes,
The Art and Psyche Working Group
Linda Carter, Diane Fremont, Melinda Haas, Ami Ronnberg,
Ellen Scott, Caterina Vezzoli, Lino Ancona, Francesca Picone
With kind sponsorship of:
- IAAP, International Association for Analytical Psychology
- CIPA, Centro Italiano di Psicologia Analitica - Southern Institute
- Regione Siciliana Assessorato alla Salute